What Is The DMV Driver Responsibility Assessment?
It is a fee assessed by the New York State DMV that is paid over a three-year period. This fee is most commonly triggered by an accrual of 6 or more within 18 months to a person’s driving record. The fee is meant to punish or penalize “bad drivers” so that their bad driving behavior does not become a habit.
The driver assessment fee is not be confused with fines and penalties associated with a ticket itself. The assessment fee is paid in addition to ticket fines and penalties.
Who Must Pay The Fee?
The DMV assessment fee is bestowed upon drivers who
- are convicted of a traffic-related alcohol or drug offense;
- refuse to take a chemical blood test for alcohol; or
- accrue 6 or more points within 18 months.
The Driver Responsibility Assessment fee is charged over a three-year period and the cost of the fee depends on the reason why you have to pay it.
- The annual assessment fee for traffic-related alcohol or drug offenses and refusals is $250.
- The annual assessment fee for 6 points is $100.
- The annual assessment fee for more than 6 points is $100 plus an extra $25 for each additional point over six.
Did you received a ticket traffic violation? Call the Claro Law Firm. We have experienced traffic lawyers who have handed thousands of traffic cases. Do yourself a favor and hire the best traffic ticket law firm, The Claro Law Firm. Just think of all the money, points and time you will save by letting the best traffic ticket lawyer, The Claro Law Firm put their experience to work of you. Contact us today for a free consultation: 917 300-3334 or visit us online. Serving Westchester County, including Yonkers, White Plains, and Bronxville.